SAP Calculations

What is a SAP?

    What do I need to provide for a SAP?

  • Floor plans, sections & elevations for existing dwelling & extension
  • Orientation e.g. site plan
  • Construction specification of walls, roofs and floors for existing dwelling & extension (this should include u-values where known) U-values
  • Specification for all windows
  • Primary & secondary heating systems
  • Renewable technology (if applicable)

SAP is the Government’s ‘Standard Assessment Procedure’ for Energy Rating of Dwellings. SAP 2012 (and updates) is adopted by government as part of the UK national methodology for calculation of the energy performance of buildings. It is used to demonstrate compliance with building regulations for dwellings – Part L (England and Wales), Section 6 (Scotland) and Part F (Northern Ireland) – and to provide energy ratings for dwellings. Design and As Built SAP Calculations for UK’s first amphibious house.

Why do we need a SAP?

SAP Reports use the Standard Assessment Procedure to provide the compliance material to building regulations Part L. The Standard Assessment Procedure is the Government’s method system for measuring the energy efficiency and carbon emission rates of residential dwellings.

When do we need a SAP?

The SAP calculations are necessary for Building regulations Part L compliance for all new build projects, conversions and extensions where the glazed area is over 25% of the floor area. In domestic and commercial properties the SAP calculations are undertaken at the beginning of the design process, during and at completion. This enables you to keep abreast of any changes during the build that may affect the energy rating of the project.

How do you calculate a SAP rating?

The SAP rating is based on the energy costs of space heating, water heating, ventilation and lighting.

The data is collected from drawings, building notes and spec sheets are inputted into accredited software and a draft report is created. If the project fails, A1 Air Testing & Energy will make recommendations on how to improve your rating- e.g. lowing u values, increasing the amount of energy saving lights in the house, more insulation.

Your architect, builder or developer or if you are a homeowner and are building an extension you will require SAP Calculations.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

It is the owner’s responsibility to provide an EPC when the home is constructed, or has been converted; any material change of use made to the heating, hot water provision or air conditioning/ventilation services.

If you are selling a home before it has been built you will be required to provide information about the energy efficiency in a Predicted Energy Assessment (PEA). This is a predicted SAP and Environmental Impact rating from the SAP Calculations and is carried out in the design state to ensure that the building will meet the required energy saving targets.

For any help with your SAP calculations, please contact A1 Air Testing & Energy, where we will be happy to assist you. We have many SAP Calculation clients across our local counties of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Northamptonshire and Lincolnshire, as well as some nationwide.

Our service includes advising our clients on how best you can comply with the regulations. We try to advise on cost and energy saving options that are available. Alterations are free of charge and our SAP assessors will also liaise with Building Control Officers.